17 February 2016

The story of an iPhone 6

  3 comments    
Assalamualaikum and Hi everyone! 

Today, we like to share with you guys something about P.E.R.C.E.P.T.I.O.N
But first, let’s take a walk down memory lane shall we~

*Flashback*

Rich friend: *takes out new, shiny, space gray iPhone 6*

Me: Woahhh, is that the new iPhone 6? How much is it?

Rich friend: Around RM3000 (completely poker face)

Me: RM3000?!!

Friend: Yeah, why?

Me: Umm…nothing
(Inner demon monologue: Hmph! Snobby, arrogant, spoil brat…murmurmurmur)

*End of flashback*

So, what do you think about my little flashback just now? Does it sound like my friend there was showing off or was I just being too judgemental? Here boys and girls, is what we called PERCEPTIONS.




Perception shapes our behaviour, acceptance and tolerance to those who are different from us and according to Pillegrino Riccarrdi (funny guy / amazing cross-cultural expert), misperception happens when we jump into negative conclusions when we don’t understand people from other culture.

Rewind to what happen between me and my friend:

My friend doesn’t see the big deal about how expensive her phone was thus I immediately think she is a spoil rich girl. However, after getting to know her, I found out her family was well off thus these luxuries (to some people) is very common in her family. Turns out, she’s very humble and down to earth!

Based on this situation, we can conclude that

“We must never criticize something we don’t understand”
        - Riccarrdi

Instead, we must try to apprehend different cultures and backgrounds in order to build a positive perception.

Well, that’s all we have to share for now and we hope to see you guys in our next post!
Thanks for reading!



If you’re interested to know more, check out this link below

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam. Hey guys! That is a very interesting example! Whether we realize it or not, we actually tend to judge people according to our own assumption. For example, I (Atirah) always think that those Chinese uncles who wear shabby clothes are just ordinary middle class people. However, my perception or judgement was proven wrong when I once went to Cameron Highlands for a holiday. There was a Chinese uncle wearing a very worn out t-shirt with shorts and slippers - I saw him at the apartment where I stayed. I found out that he was actually the owner of the apartment! I was so shocked and my judgement was changed forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloooo! Just drop by to tell our point of view. I guess that often times bad perception happens because we automatically think negatively when others have more advantage or when their expectation is different from our standard. We should filter the bad thoughts and train our mind to think and convey positive and happy thoughts :)
    - Nad

    ReplyDelete